Saturday 28 March 2015

I Eat Sh*t Pieces For Breakfast

Article written by Bulent Ozdemir
(DisclaimerThis article may contain words and phrases that some people may find offensive. Please do not continue if easily offended)

A few weekends back I decided to make a spontaneous little sketch. Something that showed a little bit of my personality and the kinda stuff that makes me laugh. So I quickly wrote down some dialogue, setup up the camera and a few hours later I had 'That Awkward Conversation':


A quick and simple scene to flex the creative juices :)

Equipment used:

1 Camera
1 Lens
1 Tripod
1 Rode Mic
1 External recorder

First I shot the 'talent', feeding her lines with specific instructions, then reversed the camera onto me for the reaction shots (I'm not an actor dammit, I'm a filmmaker!) Something to bare in mind here is the 180 degree rule and a good eye-line match. I couldn't operate camera and sit in front of her at the same time, so I marked out where she would look, shot the scene and did the same for my self. The rest of the "performance" was stitched together in post.

Now the important thing here for me was the creative exercise of a fun, simple setup. People are often scared of putting something out there because of a) their own insecurities and b) fear of rejection. Fear of rejection from peers, family, friends and that stray alley cat who doesn't like the cut of your jib. Here's my view: Fuck. That. You've gotta Fight Your Demons and push on. We as creatives don't have to wait for circumstances to be 'just right' in order to make something. EVERY work we produce no matter how silly or serious is a step closer to improving our craft. This I truly believe.

That's all for now, folks. Until next time.


How do you feel about the creative process? What gets your juices going? Please feel free to share your thoughts or experiences in the comments section below.


You might also like:
The Soldier - Did That Just Happen?
Promised - A True Collaboration



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bulent Ozdemir Director Filmmaker
Bulent Ozdemir is a self taught Writer, Director and Filmmaker who left his day job as an insurance broker back in 2010 to pursue a career in film.

website
twitter
instagram

e: bulentfilms[at]gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment