Saturday 13 February 2016

SWAT - When Opportunity Knocks

Article written by Bulent Ozdemir
(DisclaimerThis article may contain words and phrases that some people may find offensive. Please do not continue if easily offended)


One thing I've come to realise is that opportunity presents itself in the most subtlest of ways. It doesn't (usually) pop out of thin air and go "Yo, ass face, here I am on a plate ready for you to devour!" A little OTT, but I think you know where I'm coming from.

About a week ago I came across a casting call tweet looking for an Ex US Military person living in London. I'm not an Actor, shit like that doesn't interest me. I could've EASILY scrolled along my timeline BUT, my brother-in-law to be met the criteria. He's not an Actor. I just thought, why the fuck not, maybe he'd be interested. Long story short, he asked asked If I'd help him film something to send over to the casting peeps. Of course I said yes (turns out it was for a major studio movie).

Here's what we came up with. Best to watch first (process and blooper reel below).




BRIEF
Create a 30-40 second screen test of talent as S.W.A.T. member walking toward camera then getting shot.

PROCESS
I knew from the script snippet that this was a single take. But I decided to add another for storytelling and coverage purposes. I then proceeded to create the most badass storyboard ever created:




Look at those lines, the detail, the craftsmanship, that writing style... Total man hours = 5mins. Drawn a few hours before the shoot. And as you've probably gathered, something a 5yr old could draw :)

THE SHOOT
I forgot my tripod. I can't believe I forgot my tripod! Fortunately I had access to this little plastic (metal?) one forged by the Elder Elves living in the village of Hell without a fluid head .




I'm not gonna lie, trying to balance and use a camera/lens combo that weighed a few KG's on this thing drove me nuts. But as with all filmmaking endeavors, you've just gotta role with it.

Following up on the above, here's a little Blooper Reel of what we got up to:




CONCLUSION
I think a lot of creatives (including myself) have two fears: Fear of failure and a fear that we're doing it wrong. Can't remember who said it, but it goes something along the lines of:

"...scared that we'll eventually be found out as a fraud."

Here's the thing: If everyone did everything the same way, there would be no such thing as creativity. The only fear is the fear that we create ourselves. In our own mind.

The point I'm trying to make is that when opportunity knocks and you have a chance to create or be involved in something, don't be put off by what you think you do or you don't know. Step out on a limb, don't overly think about it and just do it! It could be the difference between dreaming your dream and living your dream. You never know what could come next :)

As always, please use the comments section below to ask any questions you might have.

Until next time, folks.


You might also Like:
What Am I Giving Back?
You Don't Hate Mondays, You Hate Your JOB
5 Things To Consider Before Quitting Your Job



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Bulent Ozdemir Director Filmmaker
Bulent Ozdemir is a self taught Writer, Director and Filmmaker who left his day job as an insurance broker back in 2010 to pursue a career in film.

website
twitter
instagram

e: bulentfilms[at]gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment